There are no upcoming sessions of Confident Florals
- Are you obsessed with color?
- Are you always inspired by the incredible beauty that is innately built into creation?
- Would you love to be able to quickly and confidently capture this beauty in a painting?
- Do you ever start a painting but find yourself lost in all the details, unsure of what to include and what not to?
- Do love the look of loose fluid brushstrokes but your paintings often end up too tight and overworked?
- Are you ready for an in-person experience that will inspire and encourage you to paint more and feel proud of about what you created?
You are not alone! It’s time to learn some new skills that will help you to create realistic, colorful and dramatic florals quickly, and confidently! I created this live workshop just for you!
An IN-PERSON Artist Retreat with Ali Kay
Join artists from all over the country here at my Chattanooga, TN studio! Learn my techniques first hand for explosive color and strong confident strokes. This is more that just a class. It is truly an experience that will ignite your creative expression and empower you to take your paintings to the next level!
- In this 3 day workshop you will create two 30″x30″ paintings.
- The first sample will be demonstrated step by step and will include handouts with still photos showing each brushstroke and color selection as we paint together.
- The second sample will be your choice from 3 different options.
- Traceable templates with the outlines for 4 different samples
- Edited reference photos of 4 different samples.
- All Materials Provided!
- Lunch will be catered each day with a variety of dietary options. .
- Group dinner plans one night
- Final Critique
What you will learn:
- How to transfer outlines to a panel or canvas creating a road map for success
- How to design a floral composition and what makes a great reference image
- How to use a complimentary color underpainting to develop dramatic and playful layers of color
- How to achieve loose intentional brushstrokes.
- How to see light values in an image.
- How to mix intense color that produces depth
- When you should include details and when not to!
Meet your instructor
Hi! I’m Ali!
I teach creatives how to produce beautiful dramatic paintings quickly and effortlessly. I’ve worked for decades developing my process and I’m now sharing these secrets with you! I have loved painting since childhood and I feel like it’s just a part of my identity! Learn to paint loose with me using layers of fun color! Painting shouldn’t feel like a struggle. I know you are going to be inspired after you learn just how easy and fun it can be!
Class will run 8:30-4:30 each day. We will take a 45 minute lunch break each day.
We will use Golden Fluid Acrylics on Art Cambric Cloth (similar to canvas) This material can be easily rolled up for travel and can be stretched on a panel when you are ready to display it. All materials will be provided!
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the level of experience required to attend? – I design my classes so that artists with all different levels of experience can follow along and find loads of value. If you have painted before and are open to learning, you are perfect!
- I’m an oil painter. Is this class for me? It sure is! We will be using Golden Fluid Acrylics in this class but you can certainly implement the layering techniques and color selections using oil on your own. The main difference is that you would need to wait between layers to let them dry. You might fall in love with acrylic the way that I have though. With my process, you can create depth just as juicy as with oil with a lot less mess and cost!
- Can I share and sell the work I create in this course? You sure can! I always appreciate when you tag me on any class work that you share! You are not allowed, however to teach the samples or techniques included in this course to your students.
- How do I get my paintings home? The paintings you create will be done on loose canvas that can be easily rolled up and carried on a plane. You will receive a cardboard tube to transport your paintings in.
What students are saying about learning with Ali
“I know Ali’s formula works so that allowed me to be looser and lay the paint on without second guessing.”
-Kelly Popoff (Artist)
“I have taken numerous classes over my four decades and I have to applaud Ali for her organization, presentation, and instruction abilities. Teaching and going around the room for one-on-ones, and she did it all with joy and patience! “
– Deb Drager (Artist and instructor)
“If you want to learn new techniques or refresh old ones and grow tremendously, you should sign up for Ali’s workshop. My first class was a game changer! Ali is a great teacher and full of useful knowledge to help you grow as an artist!”
-Anthony Murrill (Artist)
Let’s paint florals with CONFIDENCE together!
The studio is located at 1673 S. Holtzclaw. Ave. Chattanooga, TN 37404, about 2 miles from many downtown hotels. The Chattanooga Airport is located about 20 minutes from the downtown hotels. Flying in and out of Atlanta or Nashville airports is also an option. Both are approximately 2 hrs from Chattanooga.
Suggested nearby hotels
Holiday Inn and Suites Downtown
Artist House 811 Mississippi Ave. (Air BNB owned by my friend and student Adrienne Powell)
Built in the early 1900s as a Foursquare house, it was converted into apartments in the ’70s. Every apartment has been remodeled and furnished as a vacation rental. The house is 4.2 mi from the studio where the class will be held. It is a 10 minute drive. The house is located in a very safe neighborhood and my house is a few blocks away.